Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Electric Grandstands

In order to move on with my thoughts and my life I guess I need to address the turn 3 fracas with Kyle Busch and Dale Jr. As a fan I was violently angry and shared in a profanity laced tirade from the back stretch. However, trying remove my biases I've still got my issues.

My first being that Kyle Busch keeps getting a pass for "racing deals". Things happen, but there has to be some responsibility or culpability in everything. Kyle Busch is consistently reckless with his car and his attitude. If that exact scenario plays out with Jeff Burton or Mark Martin then it would be easy to write off as a major disappointment, but Shrub seems to do it over and over. If there was a teenager who constantly sped through your neighborhood and eventually ran down a kid who ran out in the street to get his ball...would that be a "driving deal"? I know, it's a little extreme of a jump but time and time again this kid's actions are written off. The announcers are always baffled at how Kyle Busch can run with the car sideways, but I'm under the impression if he could figure out how to drive with the car straight he might finish more races. Is he talented? You better believe it. He can wheel anything with 4 wheels under it. I'm just not ready to sign over the world to him because of his quick start.

I've heard several defenses with the biggest seeming to be a reference to Earnhardt Sr. and Texas Terry. Really? This kid racks up some wins and we feel we need to compare him to a legend? Let's forget the fact that once you've added up multiple championships that you get a bit more leeway in on track incidents. Instead let's focus on the biggest difference, when Dale Sr emerged from the #3 Chevy he made a point to apologize. Terry didn't seem to care what he said, but he still said it. Maybe he didn't mean it, maybe he did, but regardless he showed remorse. Kyle Busch is a cocky prick who feels there's no need to accept any responsiblity. We're just taking up space in his world and we need to get out of the way.

So with all that said...I'm over it. I'm moving on to Darlington and gearing up for another great race. In the words of my dear wife who felt the need to text me as I was walking through the crowd at RIR Saturday night.

F18

1 comment:

Mike said...

Well said. Just because you're a self-proclaimed "racer" doesn't give you a blanket excuse for every incident.